ROLE IS ADELAIDE BASED – with no relocation being offered.
Do you want to work on real products that help conserve natural resources and save the planet? Do you want to lead small feature crews that solve and ship real user stories every week? Do you want to help your crew grow their skill set and careers with close support from your community of peer leads and the VP of Engineering?
Come join Buddy Platform, a fast-growing company with offices in Seattle and Adelaide, Australia!
Our team is built around feature crews that blend three to four people with different skills (frontend, backend, mobile, …). Each crew jointly functions as a full-stack group to deliver end-to-end stories. Depending on the week, the work may touch our analytics pipeline, advance our rich mobile and web experiences, improve our engineering systems, or all of the above.
We’re looking for an engineering lead equally interested in their own growth and the growth of their crew. We’ll help you build that crew with well-matched and complementary engineers that help you expand both your and their breadth of skills over time. Your time will be spent working as an engineer, a mentor, and a product designer, not doing paperwork.
Our tech stack is centered around Azure, Java, React, and Azure. You don’t need to be deeply proficient in those exact technologies today, experience in equivalent environments and a willingness to learn are fine.
Buddy balances the best of both startups and more established companies: have the kind of impact on the company’s product, culture, and direction that you get at a startup, but also get stock grants of publicly traded stock, and sustainable working hours. Our offices are in dynamic downtown locations. We encourage all-expenses-paid engineer exchanges between our Seattle and Adelaide offices on a regular basis. We also encourage career growth through conferences and training programs.
- Using software engineering principles to design, plan and build solutions
- Collaborate with feature crew engineers (to plan and deliver user stories in sprints
- Collaborate with peer leads and the heads of Product and Engineering to shape the direction of features and the product at large
- Work well in a team
- Apply your intellectual and emotional intelligence to resolve ambiguity and find the right path forward
- Share DevOps and QA responsibilities within the team
- Take on week-long on-call rotations every few months (much easier with a globally distributed team across time zones)
- Grow into a principal engineer, principal engineering lead, or program manager role over time (we support people switching in and out of management or across disciplines over time as they desire)
- Strong background in software engineering
- Degree or equivalent experience plus 8+ years’ industry experience in software engineering (frontend, backend, or otherwise)
- Proven track record in people leadership
- Proven track record in working with and resolving ambiguity
- Proven track record in flexibility
- Passion for learning
- Passion for communicating clearly and respectfully
- Experience with Azure or equivalent cloud providers
- Experience designing, building solutions with Java or equivalent languages
- Experience with ElasticSearch or Postgres highly regarded
- An understanding of information security fundamentals
- Ability to troubleshoot performance issues at scale
Ideal Technology Strengths:
- Android (Java)/ iOS (Swift)
- React Native