Do you want the chance to build a team from the ground up? Do you want to define, own, and drive an entire organization’s approach to quality? Do you want to work with small feature crews that solve and ship real user stories every week? Do you want to work on real products that help conserve natural resources and save the planet?
We’re looking for an experienced QA engineer and leader to shape and champion our approach to quality. We want you to build a team that leads our efforts on manual and automated testing. We want you and your team to drive our feature crews, our product planning, our architects, and our designers to do The Right Thing for quality. You’ll have the direct support of the heads of Product and Engineering. You should know enough about how to execute the work to hold the respect of the team but spend most of your time leading and teaching others.
The engineering organization you’ll be paired with is built around feature crews that blend three to four people with different skills (frontend, backend, mobile, …). Each crew is a full-stack group delivering end-to-end stories. Depending on the week, the work may touch our analytics pipeline, advance our rich mobile and web experiences, improve our engineering systems, or all of the above. We expect your team to be able to function in the same way: not every QA engineer needs to be adept at testing every part of the full stack, but together as a team they can do it all.
Buddy balances the best of both startups and more established companies: have the kind of impact on the company’s product, culture, and direction that you get at a startup, but also get stock grants of publicly traded stock, excellent healthcare, and sane, sustainable working hours. We love dynamic downtown locations. Our Seattle office is a mere two blocks from Pike Place Market and Westlake Center, and our Adelaide office is equally close to the Adelaide Central Market and Chinatown. We encourage all-expenses-paid engineer exchanges between our Seattle and Adelaide offices on a regular basis.
Buddy is committed to being an inclusive and safe space and an equal opportunity employer.
- Build and manage a team of QA engineers to make our product the best it can be
- Kick the tires on our product often enough to have a good gut check on how it’s doing
- Collaborate with our feature crew leads and engineers to design and deliver quality-oriented work
- Collaborate with peer engineering leads, the heads of Product and Engineering, and our Operations team to shape the direction of features and the product at large
- Grow the people around you
- Apply your intellectual and emotional intelligence to resolve ambiguity and find the right path forward
- Degree or equivalent experience plus 5+ years’ industry experience in software engineering QA (frontend, backend, or otherwise)
- Proven track record in people leadership
- Proven track record in working with and resolving ambiguity
- Proven track record in flexibility
- Passion for taking things apart
- Passion for learning
- Passion for communicating clearly and respectfully